Friday, September 30, 2016

Intimacy

Jesus continued, "There was a man who had two sons.  The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them.  Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild (prodigal) living.  (Luke 15: 11-13)
**********************************************************************************************************************************
I wonder if I'm the only one who sees himself in this passage! I'm amazed at how much and how often I'm like the prodigal son. Too often, I view God as my heavenly blessing machine. I treat Him like a fast food drive-through, picking up my blessings "to go." Even though I know my spiritual fast food diet will catch up with me one day, I presume the grace and mercy of God will cover me anyway. Sad.

The blessings we seek from God can distance us from Him, if we're not very careful to pursue an intimate relationship with Him. In spite of so much preaching today about our breakthrough, our destiny, and our shining moment, the Bible is more focused on our character. So, our Father prepares and presents a feast for us everyday, and we must be careful to turn aside from all other concerns and sup with Him through worship, prayer, and the Word. Our schedules tell us we don't have time for this, but our souls long for the moments of sitting at the table with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - laughing, sharing, and talking. 

The prodigal son goes to his father to get a blessing; but to the children of God, being with the Father is our blessing.

Love you all,
Pastor Eric


No comments:

Post a Comment