Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Discipleship: It Is Necessary!

Discipleship has become a hot topic at my church. I consider it a non-negotiable for the growth and maturity of a saint. I define “discipleship” as the personal relationship or network of relationships that makes the wisdom and experience of the more seasoned saints available to others. These relationships may be structured or free-flowing, but they must be intentional, mutually agreed upon, and pursued according to the biblical model and the pastor’s vision. The mentor/disciple relationship is best pursued in the local church and biblical context. The pastor is the final piece of the puzzle, as he or she is God’s agent for equipping His saints for life and ministry (Ephesians 4: 11-16). Thus, all such relationships should be open and submitted to pastoral authority and protection.

There are tremendous benefits for the teacher/mentor and the disciple.
The teacher/mentor receives:
  • The opportunity to pour into the lives of others.
  • The joy of seeing others gain the wisdom and insights necessary for productivity and maturity.
  • Obedience to the Lord’s “Great Commission” (Matthew 28:18-20)
  • The assurance of doing what Jesus did.

The disciple receives:
  • The benefits of the knowledge of more seasoned saints.
  • The benefits of accountability.
  • The blessing of having hands laid on and being “sent”.
  • The benefits of learning to serve, honor, and follow another.

I can fully understand the fear and reluctance some feel when approached with the subject of discipleship. There have been those who have misused the trust given them, and we all must be careful to whom we submit ourselves. The Lord never asks us turn off our brains and let someone think for us or control us.

Personally, I’ve never encountered a productive and healthy saint who had not been well pastored and discipled – nor do I believe the members of a local congregation will mature without the pastor’s devoted effort to establish the means for individuals to be engaged in healthy discipling relationships. Jesus is the true Disciple-Maker, and those of us who minister in His name will seek to do as He did. So let’s get busy making those disciples!

That’s my piece. What say you?

Suggested reading –
Jesus Christ, Disciple Maker and The Disciple Making Church - Both by Bill Hull.

3 comments:

  1. The people in my life that have discipled me are a blessing. Whenever I need prayer in a dark situation, a bible verse to jump start my faith, or even a reminder of Gods love, they were there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastor Eric The pages are too dark, I cant hardly see them. Do I need to sign up or something? Im looking forward to reading this. God Bless, ~Kenny Dooley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found You to be The missing element in My journey towards Christ!
    I am committed to being His Disciple through You. I pray for You and The Father's House many times through out the day.

    God Bless, See You Sunday.

    Abner

    ReplyDelete